Want to be an entrepreneur but don't know where to start

I am Nikhil having recently completed my graduation (BBA LLB) from Gujarat National Law University. Your WTF podcast has a great influence over me. It has motivated me to dream and think big. But I have come to a crossroad and don’t have any direction about where to proceed. I come from a business family working in textiles in Surat. I have given most of my college life to have fun and explore more about human interactions than actually looking for a job on the premise that I want to start a business of my own someday.

Since my school days I have been fascinated with the idea of being an entrepreneur. I realised at a much later stage of my law school that I don’t see myself working in the legal field. So, since last 1 year I have applied to numerous Venture Capital firms to be just able to secure an internship or traineeship under them since I have some inclination over finance activities, but given my academic background it is sort of impossible to get into such a space.
However, my sole idea of working under VC firms was to be able to work with different entrepreneurs with the aim that somewhere along the line I might find an area where I want to work or come across a problem for which I am able to provide a solution.

But gradually I have come to this realisation that all these thoughts are very idealistic in nature and not practical.

So I just have 3 questions on which if I am able to get your insight on will be of great guidance for my future course of action:

1.) Can someone dream to be an entrepreneur Or is it the problem solving attitude or some obsession/experience in a particular industry for which one comes up with a venture to solve that existing problem,making entrepreneurship something as incidental to it?

In simple terms Can I just dream of being an entrepreneur and work on anything I come across or a prerequisite for that is to have an experience in a particular field where I can look for problems and then provide solutions so that my venture is perceived as more credible and stable.

1. How does one decide to operate or look for a solution to a problem in one particular field? How does one decide that field? Even if they are able to decide on this point, how do they actively execute an idea without having the technical expertise to practically solve it. How do you find such people to work with?

2. Should an entrepreneur avoid working on a particular idea merely because it does not have any scope of being converted into a millions or billions of dollar idea or as an entrepreneur “the scalability of an idea should not be of any concern”?

Thank you very much. I hope these questions are relevant to the current context. While I understand that receiving a response might be a long shot, I wanted to take the chance to reach out to you.

Best Regards,

Nikhil Jain

Hey Nikhil,

I think from most interactions we have had with founders, there are tons of them who come with little to no experience in fields they build. But they do have a view of the sector they want to work in and also have insights of the space they want to spend time with. So the question is more for you to answer on what gets you curious, what gets you excited and will keep you going. That should point you in the right direction.

Check this out too. :slight_smile:

https://x.com/tomowenmorgan/status/1775957154521821593

1 Like

Thank you for responding, short but insightful. Gave me some sort of confidence in a way to move forward and try finding my source of excitement. Thanks for sharing the link also.

1 Like